This year, the Senate Department for Economic Affairs, Energy and Labor is once again presenting the Deep Tech Award. For the eighth time in a row, application-oriented and proven solutions as well as products based on Deep Tech will be awarded in the categories Artificial Intelligence, Web3 - DLT, Blockchain, NFT & Metaverse, IT Security, Internet of Things & Industry 4.0 and Social & Sustainable Impact. The award is aimed at small and medium-sized companies in Berlin. The prizes are endowed with 10,000 euros each for innovative as well as market-tested solutions based on software and hardware. The application deadline is April 23, 2023. This year, the ECDF is on board as a partner and will also award its own partner prize for the first time.
ECDF board member Prof. Dr. Jochen Schiller has been sitting on the jury for several years and evaluates deep-tech solutions with societal, social and/or sustainable added value: "Especially as a technician and engineer in the field of the Internet of Things, I see many developments that are primarily driven by enthusiasm for technology. This is certainly important and necessary, but it is not enough. Ultimately, technology should be there for people and have properties that go beyond its purely technical function, including sustainability and benefits for society," explains the computer science professor.
Deep tech solutions have established themselves as a significant part of Berlin's tech landscape in recent years, with new products being developed and launched every year. The teams behind these solutions are made up of interdisciplinary and international experts who have found their home in Berlin. The competition is endowed with a total of 50,000 euros in prize money. For each deep tech category, a "Deep Tech Star" with 10,000 euros will be selected by a jury. The prize is awarded as part of the state initiative Projekt Zukunft and the "Deep Tech Berlin" campaign and is sponsored by the Senate Department for Economy, Energy and Enterprises and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). Each category has its own high-caliber, independent jury of experts who will evaluate the submissions according to their degree of innovation and market potential.
Stephan Schwarz, Senator of the Senate Department for Economic Affairs, Energy and Labor explains: "The past year has once again shown how resilient Berlin's economy is and how it grows even in times of crisis. We have seen a particularly large number of start-ups in the technology sector, which strengthen the metropolitan region both nationally and internationally. With the Deep Tech Award, we honor companies and their solutions that are characterized by a high degree of innovation and great future potential. I am looking forward to the applications "made in Berlin."
- -Claudia Pohlink, Chief Expert Data & Program Manager House of Data, Deutsche Bahn
- -Fabian Westerheide, Managing Director of Asgard Capital Verwaltung GmbH
Internet of Things & Industry 4.0
- Moritz von Plate, Global Head of Service and Automation, Voith Hydro
- Harald Zapp, Founder & CEO, Next Big Thing AG
- Prof. Dr. Verena Majuntke, Professor at the Berlin University of Applied Sciences
Web3 - DLT, Blockchain, NFT & Metaverse
- Dr. Ing. Katarina Adam, Professor at the University of Applied Sciences Berlin
- Regine Haschka-Helmer, CEO, Seedlab GmbH, IOTA Foundation Adviser
- Dr. Christoph Haupenthal, Director/Co-Founder, Institute for Applied Blockchain at the
- Digital Business University of Applied Sciences
- - Timo Kob, Founder, HiSolutions AG
- - Birgit Heß, Cloud Information Security Awareness Lead Europe, SAP Global Security
- - Thomas Schröter, Member of the Board, SIBB e.V.
- Social & Sustainable Impact (deep tech solutions with societal, social and/or
- sustainable added value)
- - Peter Udo Diehl, CEO & Founder, Audatic
- - Prof. Dr. Jochen Schiller, Member of the Board, Einstein Center Digital Future
- - Geraldine de Bastion, Founder Global Innovation Gathering and Co-Founder Konnektiv Collective Ltd
All further information about the Deep Tech Award and the application criteria can be found here.